Friday, August 6, 2010

Little Miss Muffet

'Little Miss Muffet
Sat on her tuffet,
Eating her curds and whey;
Along come a spider,
Who sat down beside her,
And frightened Miss Muffet away.'

There was some speculation this morning at preschool as to the word 'tuffet'. Some of the staff thought it was ones 'bottom'. Myself and some others thought it was a small seat/stool, you know, similar to a little wooden milking stool with the round seat and three little legs.

We were rather interested to see, so one of the staff took to the office and googled. . . . . . .


meanwhile, . . . . . .

what. . . . .

do. . . . . . .

you. . . . . .

think. . . . . .

a . . . . . . . .

'tuffet'. . . . . .

might be . . . . . . . ?. . . . . . .?

To check out your answer click Tuffet and you will see if you are correct. I was sort of close. Rather interesting, and very, very cute. It's amazing what you learn at preschool you know.

Oh and here is some information you might like to read in regards to the nursery rhyme itself.



This cute little ditti above was used by the WPA (Work Projects Administration USA) in 1940 to promote reading in young children. It was on the wikipedia site, and I just had to add it here, because I so love the little poster. I think I would like a dress just like that.

As for a tuffet, well I have found some very cute versions to share with you below.

Found here


Found here AND you have to check out all of her blog, it's awesome, I forgot about my post and have been sitting here reading. *sigh* go, go now, say hello and have a look at all the wonderful goodness.

So ok, now you know what a tuffet is, and now you know what they look like, you also know that I want a dress just like the poster oh but not the socks, and now you also have a new blog to have a look at too.

You probably know now, that I am just a tad 'strange' and not your average chic, but I can't be any other way, so I hope that you are ok with that.

Have a wonderful Friday evening, have a wonderful weekend, and may the spiders at your place not cause too much frightening acts of scaring anyone.

4 comments:

Lollybags said...

I am in the process of designing a couple of dresses very like Miss Muffets for my poppets. I am having a 40s and 50s themed birthday party. If you are anywhere near Melbourne near the end of November you are more than welcome to come along :)

'Joyce' said...

oh wonderful, you will certainly have to post pics of them please, you know how I love your sewing. As for November, hmmmm, bummer, not down your way then, I think I am in Goulburn for a weekend in November or December that will be the closest to you. Have fun designing, oh hurry and sew fast, lol, I can't wait to see them.

Posy Linda said...

Google sure can be helpful. Thanks for the links. On the way to check them out. Enjoy a wonderful, beautiful weekend.

kristin said...

thanks for the sweet mention joyce! i'm always surprised where one can land when googling and i love that you found me that way. it sounds like you have a lot of fun with your preschoolers :)